Vocalist.org archive

From:  Nancy Fontana <cantabella_nf@y...>
Nancy Fontana <cantabella_nf@y...>
Date:  Mon Mar 5, 2001  12:49 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] When and IF will it happen ?

--- deliamay@h... wrote:
> I am a 'serious' amateur/very occasionally
> professional chorister
> (soprano) with quite a lot of experience of
> solo work in amateur
> musical theatre and have been taking singing
> lessons for about 5
> years with a lyric soprano. However my voice
> seems to be remarkably
> resistent to making any kind of operatic sound
> - even my teacher is
> surprised that nothing is happening yet. I
> would like to ask any of
> you experts who started off with a 'baby' voice
> what it was that
> happened when you felt you were making this
> vital progression. I
> don't know if my problem is pushing too much,
> too little support (ie
> not enough breath), the sound being too far
> back or what - i suspect
> all of these things. What is the main
> difference beween an operatic
> sound and a musical theatre sound ? I am 39 by
> the way so no spring
> chicken, just started late !

Hello-
I am a "seasoned" singer, performer and teacher
of voice. In reference to your queries.
1 . "Baby" Voice - Your voice may be a Subrette
which is the smallest / lightest
soprano "Fach". It will always be smallish
and wispy to the ear but you certainly can grow
stamina, more "roundness" and some volume
relative to this vocal Fach.
remember volume is RELATIVE to the
voice Type (Fach).

2. Regarding the difference of Musical Theatre
sound to Operatic. This area is about the
"TIMBRE" of the voice. Just as a guitar is
basically a folk instrument .... the violin lends
itself best to intellectual / serious music.
SOME voices and instruments can be Chameleon as
we have seen in Singers like Eileen Farrel.
I personally believe the singer's personality
plays a LARGE role in this area. Another words
your personality is reflected in the
music you sing and generally certain singers
GRAVITATE one way or the other. But there
are exceptions to every general rule.
I.......for instance have sung every kind of
music and do most well but some are definitely a
real me "fit". This takes exploration
and if your teacher is very astute she will
"hear" the timbre of your voice being most
expressive in "X" type of music or repertoire.
Sincerely,
Nancy Fontana

=====
Nancy Fontana