Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
gwyee@r...
Date:  Sun Mar 4, 2001  5:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] When and IF will it happen ?

At 11:33 AM 3/4/01 EST, Greypins@a... wrote:
> i play a guessing game with my students. i tell them i'm
>thinking of a number which they have to guess and i'll only tell them if they
>are too low or too high. it is always the same number- two hundred million.
> they all start with 3 or 5 and creep up. some can't get past 10 having
>imagined i said 'between 1 and 10'. none of them ever guess a number that i
>have to tell them is too high. the adventurous ones will make it to a
>million and then toss up their arms in surrender. so my question to you is-
>have you ever made a sound that was too operatic?

Dear mike and Vocalistmates,

I am only a student, so I can only humbly express my own personal
experience; but it never ceases to impress me how much we are able to do as
singers is "mental" or "emotional". My first teacher would say to me "You
are a baritone and certainly not a tenor." and then we would really struggle
with high notes. After a short while with my current teacher, he asked "You
are a tenor. Why are you trying to sound like a baritone?" It wasn't a
long time afterwards that the high notes appeared; very thin at first, but a
little stronger and fuller every day. Tessitura that were once high for me
are now the easiest place in my voice to sing. Subconsciously, I needed
"permission" to sing high.

Thanks much for your post, mike. I still need reminding.

GWendel, DT

emusic.com