Vocalist.org archive

From:  Hild <hild@c...>
Hild <hild@c...>
Date:  Fri Mar 2, 2001  10:42 pm
Subject:  Re: Tchaikovski

> Hi Bruna,
>
> Being Russian - it is a little disappointing to hear Tchaikovsky's songs
> sang in German.
> It is something like singing Schubert in French, because German is too hard,
> and English is too simple...

:) it's that book my teacher has, she has a lot of german books there,
do you believe i even found carmen in german? yes! bizet's carmen!!!! so
strange :)

> I do not think Russian is much harder then German - so, if translate, why
> not to English (as a singer's native language) then? Though I can see the
> point that for some reasons German translations - meaning and phrasing - of
> Russian song texts is much closer then English...

i will study russian as soon as i can-- i really like the sound :)

> I can recommend Olga Borodina's CD of his songs - great mezzo and very good
> interpretation, and Dmitry Hvorostovsky's "Russian Romances" - though I'd
> like to warn you about simplified interpretation (I do like Hvorostovsky a
> lot - but his singing is a little too cold... - perfect for Onegin, but not
> for art songs).
>
> Maria
>
> www.cs.wisc.edu/~boris/maha

I'll listen to you! ALthough i almost never listen to mezzos(i had no
one single cd of a mezzo!)(i'm a soprano :)) my teacher said that i
wouldn't regret buying a cecilia bartoli(my first mezzo cd) and i really
didn't! :D
THANKS for the tips Maria!
Bruna

P.S.: Ernie i follow'd your advice and i guess it's called Sred'
shumnogo bala (In the midst of the ball) thanx :))))

emusic.com