Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@i...>
"Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@i...>
Date:  Fri Mar 2, 2001  1:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The /u/ vowel

Hi, Mike and listers

I'm getting better ( referring to pvt mail ). I'm even reading the msgs from
days ago.

You wrote:

>i have been having my students sing with pencils in their
> mouths accomplishing two things; dumping excessive lip postures and
allowing
> them to notice the relationship between the tongue and throat and how that
> changes from vowel to vowel. it also causes almost all of them to sing
with
> more focus as they tend to develope a gentle sub-glottal pressure rather
than
> 'surf-singing' (sul fiato as opposed to col fiato). unfortunately, some
> miss the point and end up singing like the tin man in need of his oil can
> when the pencil comes out.

I just think you should take care with that. i used to do some exercises
with a cork in my mouth ( as prescribed by my speech therapist ), and that
ended up causing big pain in the jaw. I couldn't even bite an apple for
days.

According to another speech therapist, a big shot orthodontist said it was
crazy to do that kind of thing, because it may aggravate or create jaw
tension ( TJM? ).

bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9939 Pencils and corks in the mouth John Link   Sun  3/4/2001   8 KB

emusic.com