Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Mar 1, 2001  1:31 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] 20th/21st Century art song ideas

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Ernie Valenzuela wrote:

> Dear VocaList members,
> Could I please compile from you a list of your preferred
> settings for baritone to the above-mentioned subject?

Butterworth: Six Songs from 'A Shropshire Lad'; Bredon Hill and Other
Songs (cycles)

Britten: Songs and Proverbs of William Blake (cycle; written for Dietrich
Fischer-Dieskau)

Vaughan Williams: Songs of Travel; The House of Life (cycles)

Sviridov: Otchalivshaya Rus' (Russia Cast Adrift) (cycle; composed for
Dmitri Hvorostovsky)

Ravel: Don Quichotte a Dulcinee (cycle; composed for Martial Singher)

Ibert: Chansons de Don Quichotte (cycle; composed for Feodor Chaliapin)

Ives: General William Booth Enters into Heaven (song)

Poulenc: Quatre airs chantes (cycle; composed for Pierre Bernac)

Shostakovich: Suite on Verses of Michelangelo Buonarroti, Opus 145a
(cycle)

I don't know if the following are explictly for baritone, but I have heard
them performed by baritones:

Warlock: The Singer; The Droll Lover; Captain Stratton's Fancy; Late
Summer; Rest, Sweet Nymphs; To the Memory of a Great Singer (individual
songs)

Gurney: Black Stitchel; Most Holy Night; The Singer; Ha'nacker Mill
(songs)

Ives: Five Street Songs (cycle)

KM
=====