Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Date:  Wed Feb 28, 2001  3:16 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Singers of the Past

----Original Message-----
>From: thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
>Subject: [vocalist] Singers of the Past
>Date: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 8:28 PM
>

>On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Ernie Valenzuela wrote:
>> I'll add: Igor Gorin (what a elegant, noble sound)!
>
>Mark Montgomery:
>Ernie, I'm so glad you mentioned this great singer.
>I almost included him in my response. What a horn!
>Does anyone sing the Prologue to Pagliacci any better?

I've heard many sing Il Prologo on vinyl, but the best I've *ever*
heard was in 1986 at the Met. Sherrill Milnes - for all the vocal crisis
he was enduring at the time - conveyed the composer's creation with
sincerity, humility & beauty. At it's climax - the Ab just soared & filled
the house & kept spinning off the walls. I think many of the patrons
(including myself) had to collect our jaws off the floor before showering
Mr. Milnes with shouts & applause. It was just a special night - one,
obviously I've never forgotten.

Goodnight all!

EV

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9830 Re: Singers of the Past Greypins@a...   Wed  2/28/2001   3 KB
9831 Re: Singers of the Past Greypins@a...   Wed  2/28/2001   2 KB
9841 Re: Singers of the Past Maria Razumova   Wed  2/28/2001   2 KB

emusic.com