Vocalist.org archive

From:  Kate Reid <radishes@r...>
Kate Reid <radishes@r...>
Date:  Wed Feb 28, 2001  2:50 am
Subject:  Canadian music schools

To all Canadian posters:

I DEFINITELY want to study voice after high school
(absolutely no question about that). I am nearly
17-years-old, so need to start thinking seriously about
this matter. Up until this evening, I spent most of my
energy looking into conservatories and schools of music in
North Eastern US, although it recently occured to me to
research Canadian schools, particularly in Ontario and
Quebec (Montreal, in particular). I am a Canadian citizen
(an American permanent resident) and I have a lot of family
in Quebec, which would be convenient because I also have
chronic illness. After a quick web search for Canadian
music schools, the most promising program appears to be, so
far, McGill. Has anyone studied at McGill? How were your
experiences? To all Canadian forumites: Any other
suggestions for excellent voice programs in Quebec and
Ontario?

A little about me: I have been studying voice for nearly
10 years now (although I'm not quite sure how productive
those first few years were!). Although I am too young to
know what my fach is, I have a moderately good sized voice,
and a considerable repertoire list (only one complete role
so far, but I still have a little while before I put
application materials together). Additionally, my French
skills are fairly rudimentary. I spent most of my young
life in Canada (many of those years speaking French), so
I'm sure if necessary, I'm sure I could become proficient
again. However, McGill struck me as promising because it
is an English institution.

Thanks to all who respond!

---Kate

9832 Re: Canadian music schools Laura Sharp   Wed  2/28/2001   2 KB
9835 Re: Canadian music schools Kate Reid   Wed  2/28/2001   2 KB
9838 Re: Canadian music schools Laura Sharp   Wed  2/28/2001   3 KB
9839 Re: Canadian music schools John Alexander Blyth   Wed  2/28/2001   2 KB

emusic.com