Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Tue Feb 27, 2001  7:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Belting Revisted via Estill

In a message dated 02/27/2001 11:03:43 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Greypins@a... writes:
Greypins@a... writes:

<< irst, i should restate that information comes from gillyanne kayes, a
self-proclaimed disciple of jo estill. >>
Hi Mike,
I knew where you were quoting from, if that was not clear. I have not
read that book yet, so I certainly can not make any specific comments.
My only reaction was that I have an immense aversion to adding or
markedly changing vocal behaviors for each style of music. In my opinion, it
is confusing and often frustrates the singer, not to mention the possible
risk of injury that may be incurred.
You are right Mike, SLS does not advocate using vigorous adbdominal
support as the process of teaching good singing; whether it be opera or
otherwise. Vigorous abdominal support may be felt as a "result" of the proper
process, but it is the product not the process. In fact, when I'm singing
gospel/R&B, I tend to feel a greater tenseness than when when I sing Opera,
but overall, the feeling is still markedly less than before my training in
SLS.
Mary Beth F.

emusic.com