Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Tue Feb 27, 2001  6:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Belting Revisted via Estill

In a message dated 2/27/2001 1:33:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Domisosing@a... writes:
Domisosing@a... writes:

<< In my experience with my current students, a belted sound does not
exhibit all of the above hyperfunctional behaviors that Jo Estill's studies
seem to advocate. There are slight adjustments made to accomodate each
style,
but by and large the mechanism remains stable and the technique the same. >>

mary beth,

first, i should restate that information comes from gillyanne kayes, a
self-proclaimed disciple of jo estill. secondly, the other five types of
singing ms. kayes discusses in her book seem to be fairly standard in the
methods she advises for them. she speaks of using vigorous abdominal
support for opera , which as i understand it, is unnecessary as far as sls
believes (?) but, is fairly standard in many approaches to operatic singing.

i tried to do all the methods she describes in her book and was
succesful (meaning the method produced the predicted result) in all but the
belting. i couldn't even figure out how to get started so, i just gave up.
barry bousnous' description of belting as a 'soft yell' i can do but, kayes
description had me standing on my head before i even got started.

mike

emusic.com