Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
"Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Tue Feb 27, 2001  3:26 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] organ voice concert

Sheila, I also missed your original post. I want to second the suggestion of
the Badings pieces. If you don't have an oboist they're easily done with flute
or soprano sax as the obbligato instrument. Here are some other pieces for
your consideration:

Leo Sowerby
wrote quite a few songs for voice and organ. His "stream of consciousness"
tonality makes them tough to learn but they are well received. in my opinion
they are more concert oriented than religious - even though the texts are
sacred. They have long lines, are extremely colorful harmonically and are
demanding for the organist and singer. They are published by the Leo Sowerby
Foundation

Emma Lou Diemer (American, prof. of composition at UC Santa Barbara)
"I will Sing of Your Steadfast Love" = high voice/organ/Arsis Press
"Create in Me a Clean Hear, O God" - Med. voice/organ or pno/Arsis Press
"And I saw a New Heaven and a new Earth" - Med.High voice/trumpet/organ or pno/
Arsis press
"Who Can Find a Virtuous Woman?" med. high voice/organ or pno/ Arsis

Daniel Pinkham
"Carols and Cries" voice/organ/E.C.Schirmer. Each of the 9 songs is dedicated
to a soloist in the choir of King's Chapel, Boston, where Pinkham was the music
director at the time.
"three Latin Motets"/voice/organ/Ione Press (div. of E C Schirmer)

Jean Langlais
"Missa in simplicitate" for solo voice or unison choir and organ or harmonium/
Editions musicales de la Schola Cantorum

Cindy Donnell

Sheila, somehow I missed your original post, so I don't know if you were
requesting repertoire ideas or not. However, if you are not familiar
with 20th century Dutch composer Henk Bading's Three Sacred Songs from
Old English Texts for alto, organ and oboe, please check them out. I
believe they are published by Donemus. Also from the 20th century are
Alfredo Casella's Tre Canti Sacri, orginially written for baritone and
organ, though they would work for mezzo. They are published by Boosey
& Hawkes. I have found both works to be well received.

Mark Montgomery

emusic.com