Vocalist.org archive

From:  <sheilagraham@b...>
<sheilagraham@b...>
Date:  Mon Feb 26, 2001  5:20 am
Subject:  (vocalist) WAS body fat and singing, now self-promotion

Dear Kevin (Hollis) and List,

> > Sorry if this is a silly question, but what does ISTR stand for?
> >
> ISTR = I Seem To Recall, used in emails as an apology that what's written
> may be mis-remembered.

Duh!! Sorry - I was trying to get some singing connection out of it, eg
International Singing Teachers' Register! What a boring one-track mind!

> Are you singing anywhere at the moment ? It'd be interesting to put a
voice
> to the name.

If you have the patience of the proverbial saint and then some, there are a
few very brief soundclips from my CD on the website, but they take
absolutely ages to download. High on the 'to do' list is updating and
improving the site, including making MP3 clips because they're faster.

Not doing a huge amount of public singing at the moment - there are no local
classical music agencies, (I'm way too old for any of the national agencies
to be interested, irrespective of whether or not I am good enough), and I
pretty much have to organise my own performing. I've been finding it hard to
find time to do this, as I've become completely swamped with private
teaching work (which I do enjoy, but need to be doing more singing to keep
me sane). Weddings, funerals (Edinburgh's not big on bar mitzvahs), the odd
private party and assorted local church gigs are about it.

I'm open to (vocal!) offers - anywhere, anytime! Or it might be a good
discussion topic - how do you all manage the self-promotion aspect of your
careers, particularly those of you who are not quite in the first flush of
youth?

On the positive side, the CD's still selling, and I've probably - I hope -
got some free recording studio time in May; choice of material is up to me.
I'm currently trying to decide on repertoire for a couple of guest spots I'm
doing at organ recitals during the Edinburgh Festival in August. I'm finding
it a challenge to come up with material for voice and organ that's primarily
concert repertoire (even if it's religious), as opposed to material that's
primarily religious, and sung as part of worship, rather than in a concert
setting. Any suggestions?

Regards to all,

Sheila

Sheila Graham
Mezzo-Soprano, Edinburgh, Scotland

www.sheilagraham.demon.co.uk

'She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything' (Bellini)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9791 MP3 for Sheila's self-promotion John Alexander Blyth   Mon  2/26/2001   3 KB
9795 Re: MP3 for Sheila's self-promotion Shannon   Mon  2/26/2001   3 KB

emusic.com