Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Feb 22, 2001  8:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] the value of a music degree

>From: Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
>To: vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [vocalist] the value of a music degree
>Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:20:55 -0800 (PST)
>
> > if you undertake that self-study program you
> > outlined, you may well have as
> > good an education as a degreed person (with the
> > caveat mentioned, that you
> > might not know what was valuable to study on your
> > own) but it may be harder to convince people.
>
>Is this true? I had always assumed that the
>determining factor was how well one sounds and
>auditions, since opera is not a field in which you can
>generally be hired on the strength of either your
>degree or your resume -- they've got to hear you
>first.

Well, in many cases you have to get IN to the audition first. Oftentimes,
getting an audition is contingent on sending in resume and headshot and
getting a call or card back with the appointment. I know that that happens
for me now because I have some "roles with names" on my resume. Otherwise,
having the degree and/or a well-regarded teacher on the resume might be what
it takes.

Don't discount the benefit of having stage time, either. If nothing else,
it teaches how to deal with onstage disasters. (Remind me to tell you about
the time my Giovanna missed the catch when the Duke tossed her the little
bag of coins....)

Elizabeth Finkler
BA Theater, Lycoming College
AND.... just hired on at Pocket Opera!
Rainyvale (formerly "Sunnyvale"), California
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

"If you must be wrong, then be wrong at the top of your voice!" --Lucy Van
Pelt