Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
"Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Thu Feb 22, 2001  10:09 pm
Subject:  Re: value of a music degree

>From experience, getting a degree
allows you to round out your education by
studying more than just your major discipline,
even if that means that a singer also studies
drama, dance, creative writing and classical
piano. All those things would make a
singer more marketable in the world.
Also, the psychology, philosophy and
anthropology that I took as electives helped
me become a person of several dimensions
which has to be good when performing whether
in operas, musical theatre or the concert venue.
Also, as a teacher, a road many musicians take
up along the way, I am more well rounded and able
to relate to the diverse ages and interests of my students.
Also, the ensembles, variety of professors and the
whole atmosphere propelled me to work harder.
And as for the cost, try taking separate classes in
all these things and see how many one can actually
afford.
I still learn everyday. And I hope to continue doing so
until I take my last breath. So, life can teach you lots
and no one should undervalue private study, but for
my situation, I'm glad I went for a degree.
Jacqueline
www.tbmall.com/slightlyoffbroadway
(gifts/costumes/classes & more)
Read my articles at:
www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre
and
www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/reg/register_topic.gsp?auth_id=63776
Have fun at:
www.geocities.com/sloffbrdway

"There's no business like show business"

emusic.com