Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Wed Feb 21, 2001  4:01 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Velopharyngeal closure, raised palate, and lowered larynx

"Lloyd W. Hanson" wrote:

> In the paragraphs previous to the one you quoted from me, I indicated
> that the kind of raising of the palate in which the larynx is lowered
> simultaneously is:
>
> 1 the form of palate raising which is sought after in classical singing.
> 2 is different than raising the palate to close off the
> velopharyngeal port
> 3 is not possible if the larynx is raised.
>

> This does not mean the the pharynx is not adjustable when the larynx
> is raised but, in my opinion, such adjustments are not the same as
> the raising of the palate which simultaneously lowers the larynx
> (obviously, I guess).

I guess we have a couple of issues here: 1) Can the VP port be CLOSED
so as to prevent undesired nasality and to facilitate plosive consonants
with a neutral or slightly elevated larynx. The answer to this is of
course yes. 2) Is there a difference in the style or degree to which
the pharynx is stretched upward or expanded in diameter (apart from the
closure of the VP port). Lloyd indicates that there are differences.
I, however, cannot tell that there is any difference in sound or
sensation that I would not more readily attribute to the lowered larynx
rather than any difference in how the pharynx is treated. (We may have
to agree to disagree on this one unless there is more substantive proof
available).

--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9672 Re: Velopharyngeal closure, raised palate, and lo Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  2/21/2001   5 KB

emusic.com