Vocalist.org archive

From:  Shannon <Cantante@x...>
Shannon <Cantante@x...>
Date:  Wed Feb 21, 2001  4:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] the value of a music degree

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 Mezzoid@a... wrote:

>>In a message dated 02/21/2001 2:25:04 AM Central Standard Time,
>>ibracamonte@y... writes:
>>
>>What does a college degree give that one can't put together better
>>[in a brilliant and enriching environment]
>

> Christine Thomas replied:
> I think this is the same argument that I have with homeschooling vs.
> traditional educational systems -- the social interaction from
> working with peers, the networking opportunities, the lack of
> distractions from day to day life in the ideal circumstances of the
> educational environment....

Oh, I'd have found something to disagreee with, even if you hadn;t
thrown homeschoolers into the mix, but by repeating homeschooling myths
you've just invited a reply that hopefully will remain on musical topic
:)

Homeschoolers get together all the time, and often end up interacting
with their true peers, and not just the kids they're thrown together
with on account of their birthdates. Networking opportunities? For a
gradeschooler? or even high schooler? Opportunities that they can't
get from other interactions -- Scouts, church, neighborhood rec center,
jobs, etc.? Lack of distractions? Huh? Are you saying that school is
an inherently non-distracting place? Heh.

To drag this around to Isabelle's point, any time you're out there
auditioning, studying, working or trying to work, you're having social
interactions and you're networking. I found that I had to keep paying
the bills to keep a roof over our heads whether I was in school or out
of it. I don't know what distractions school was there to prevent me
from experiencing, but it didn't do a very good job... if anything, it
added to the load.

Having said all that, the benefit of having a music degree is in the
ticket to the ball that it grants you. That should never be
underestimated. I have known brilliant people who do not get the credit
they deserve in their areas because they don't have the appropriate (or
any) degree. There are things that I had to study in college that I may
not have bothered with outside of that institution, but which
nevertheless inform all areas of my life. Again, you could duplicate
much of this by taking classes at the local community college, but the
bit that can't be duplicated is the sheepskin with your name on it, and
the automatic credibility you get for having reached a certain level of
accomplishment and for having persevered the multiple years it took you
to get it.

Shannon Smith cantante@x...

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a
horrible warning.
--Catherine Aird

emusic.com