Vocalist.org archive

From:  kjensen@c...
kjensen@c...
Date:  Wed Feb 21, 2001  4:30 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] the value of a music degree

>In a message dated 02/21/2001 2:25:04 AM Central Standard Time,
>ibracamonte@y... writes:
>
><< What does a college degree give that one can't put together better, living
>in a city (San Francisco, in my case) and studying
>languages/theory/piano/voice/coachings on my own, reading music history and
>autobiographies, going to the symphony and opera and ballet and concerts?
>What could a degree program possibly provide me with that I can't recreate on
>my own? >>

One benefit of taking a college degree, is that as a student you
become part of a group whose interests and talents can contribute to your
development in many ways. The sense of belonging to a group of outstanding
vocalists who are encouraging one another through a mixture of competition
and mutual support can be invaluable. You're running with an elite 'pack'.

Another benefit is the sheer time it takes. A period of maturing
and slower-paced voice development is good for a singer, rather than a
fast-track with posisble vocal burnout.

Finally, there are important spin-offs in the non-music subjects
you might have to take for your undergrad degree. I realize now that the
English, Philosophy and Psychology courses I took are vital to my
communicative abilities and my understanding of the song literature. I
remember a course called "European Literature in Translation" where I
studied Goethe's "Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship", the novel which
contains characters such as Mignon and the Harper which are central to many
songs in the lieder repertoire. Theoretically one can study these on your
own, but not often does a person realize what they need when they are
young. In looking back to my high school friends and who they have become,
there is a huge divide between those who went to university and those who
didn't. For some reason, human beings seem to be deeply influenced by the
people around them and the power structures in which they function. A
college should be a place where intelligent, musical, inspiring people are
collected. Of course, sometimes there are destructive people there too. One
needs to be discerning to find out.

I assume that you are writing from the point of view of someone who
wants a singing career. If a student isn't sure what they want to do
eventually, a college education can give them some options later on, such
as teaching, composition, arts management, etc.
Cheers,
Karen Jensen

emusic.com