Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Wed Feb 21, 2001  9:35 am
Subject:  Re: VP Port and Palate- Reply to Lloyd

Dear Taylor and Vocalisters

Taylor wrote:
> Quoting Zemlin's book: Speech and Hearing Science
>
> "CLOSURE of the velopharyngeal port is achieved by ELEVATING
> and retracting the soft palate. The posterior wall may well move
> anteriorly to meet the soft palate in some individuals and may be
> seen as a compensatory gesture in instances of a short palate."
>
> Lloyd, if you can point me to a source in the pedagogy/science
> literature that contends what Zemlin says above, I would be
> grateful.

Tomorrow I will send the Miller's resources on this which clearly indicate
that the palate may be raised but the velopharyngeal port still patially
open.

Simply, raise the soft palate with the simultaneously lowering of the
larynx. Establish this feeling then do the same with the mouth closed as
you inhale through the nose. The palate is still slightly raised but the
velopharyngeal port is open to permit the inhale through the nose and the
larynx has descended as it does with the raising of the palate.

Regards
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Vocal Pedagogy