Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Wed Feb 21, 2001  5:58 am
Subject:  Re: Velopharyngeal closure, raised palate,and lowered larynx

Hello Reg

On 20-Feb-01, Reg Boyle wrote:
> Some am I correct in assuming that you are saying Lloyd,
> that EACH of the three elements can be altered independent
> of the state of either of the other two? Boolean logic says
> that is EIGHT possible conditions disregarding intermediate
> states. Peace at last!
> That means there are only eight was
> of singing. Oh joy oh bliss!!! Reg.

COMMENT: In my experience the concept of raising the palate such that the
larynx is simultaneously lowered is a natural and easily taught posture
that has a very desirable effect on the tone quality of the singer. Some
claim that the larynx can be lowered or raised without any contrary
movement of the palate. I have never found anyone who could do that but
that does not mean it could not be done. I just cannot think of any reason
why one would want to void a natural response of these muscle systems.
Perhaps it is necessary to achieve a particular kind of tonal quality that
is required for some styles of singing.

Miller gives a variety of sources on how the velopharyngeal port can be, or
is, closed. It is his opinion that some good tones which do not appear to
have a nasal quality may, in fact, allow some partial opening of the
velopharyngeal port.

I can send you a copy of his discussion of this matter from his book, "The
Structure of Singing".

About Boolean probability? Who knows from Boolean probability?

Regards
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Vocal Pedagogy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9682 Boolean Combinations. Reg Boyle   Thu  2/22/2001   4 KB

emusic.com