Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Wed Feb 21, 2001  5:47 am
Subject:  Re: Velopharyngeal closure, raised palate,and lowered larynx

Hello Randy and Vocalisters:

In a message dated 2/20/01, I wrote:
>> If a technique of singing is sought in which the larynx is to be
>> raised, as Barry's description of his (and Estill's ) belt technique
>> states, it is logical that the palate will not be in a raised state
>> as described above. But regardless of the raising or not raising of
>> the soft palate, the velopharyngeal ports can be either open or
>> closed. And clearly, hard belters do it both ways.

On 20-Feb-01, Randy Buescher replied:
> Lloyd, that is just not true. Of course the soft palate can be raised and
> the port be left open because of incompetence, but for it to be closed the
> velum absolutely has to raise and move back, there is no way around it.

REPONSE: I gave a poorly stated last sentence in my paragraph quoted above
and, taken at face value, it IS in error. I was attempting to say that
singing with a high larynx would usually be accompanied by a lowered palate
because of the natural response of the palate and larynx to work in
opposite directions. Even if the palate were raised it is still possible
to sing with a nasal quality because the velopharyngeal port can remain
partially open.

There is little doubt that for the velopharyngeal port to be closed
completely the "velum absolutely has to raise and move back" However, the
kind of adjustment that occurs when the palate is raised and the larynx
simultaneously moves downward does not require this kind of complete
closure. You refer to this partial closure as "incompetence" which,
depending on the desire of the singer, might be an accurate description.

The sense of upper or vertical space combined with the slight lowering of
larynx which is achieved when raising the palate, gives the singer a tone
quality that is desirable. It is possible for the singer to exaggerate
this posture but that is not the intent of the use of the concept of
raising the palate. It is also true, as I have mentioned before, that the
voluntary attempt to raise the palate is usually not successful. Success
is more easily achieved by simulating an action that, by its nature, tends
to raise the palate such as feeling a sneeze coming on, inhaling through
the mouth so that a cool spot is felt on the roof of the mouth, smelling a
rose, etc.

Thanks for the correction.

Regards
--