Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Wed Feb 21, 2001  2:53 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: college musical theater programs

jennifer quoted me as saying:

<< the same thing could be said about any musician,
> really. or, if they go to
> college, why not continue lessons with a good
> teacher and get a more
> practical degree (like a masters in ancient gaelic
> literature). >>

it is amazing what my idea of a 'tongue in cheek' (or is it 'tongue up
cheek?) remark will generate.

i agree that there is a lot in college that is of value to the singer,
potentially. i say potentially because so many are distracted by worrying
about their technique, they can't pay 'long term memory' attention to the
rest of their studies. the instrumentalists' stereotype of the 'dumb
singer' is not always far from the truth and, maybe these people would be
better off getting a practical degree so, when they find out that being a
professional singer requires more than pretty sounds, they have something to
fall back on (something like food science or hotel management).

i guess you had to be there. never mind!

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9865 Help finding sheet music Dolphin aura   Thu  3/1/2001   4 KB

emusic.com