Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Tue Feb 20, 2001  7:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Velopharyngeal closure, raised palate, and lowered larynx

"Lloyd W. Hanson" wrote:

> If a technique of singing is sought in which the larynx is to be
> raised, as Barry's description of his (and Estill's ) belt technique
> states, it is logical that the palate will not be in a raised state
> as described above.

I'm afraid you lost me on this point. In my experience the vp is
certainly close-able and the the pharynx is stretch-able (although
admittable less-so than with a lowered larynx). The muscle systems are
somewhat interconnected but not rigidly so. They can function
independently. The image which always works for my belters is:
"classical uses an incipient yawn feeling up to the top of the head and
down into the chest. In belt, you just yawn upwards only." Works
almost every time.

--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9649 Re: Velopharyngeal closure, raised palate, and lo Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  2/21/2001   5 KB
9653 Re: Velopharyngeal closure, raised palate, and lo Gina   Wed  2/21/2001   2 KB
9654 Re: Velopharyngeal closure, raised palate, and lo Reg Boyle   Wed  2/21/2001   2 KB
9655 Re: Velopharyngeal closure, raised palate, and lo buzzcen@a...   Wed  2/21/2001   2 KB
9656 Re: Velopharyngeal closure, raised palate,and low Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  2/21/2001   4 KB
9670 Re: Velopharyngeal closure, raised palate, and lo Barry Bounous   Wed  2/21/2001   3 KB
9672 Re: Velopharyngeal closure, raised palate, and lo Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  2/21/2001   5 KB

emusic.com