Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Tue Feb 20, 2001  4:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] What's a great college for undergrad voice?

MVA12@a... wrote:

> Hey all-
> I'm new to this group and was hoping to get some help. I am a
> junior in High School and am very seriously pursuing a career in
> classical vocal performance. I recently was chosen as the #1 Tenor I
> in Colorado in the All-State Choir auditions. I am seriously looking
> at Manhattan School of Music, Northwestern, Curtis Institute of
> Music, and Oberlin. I am also considering Juilliard, New England
> Conservatory, University of Southern California, and Boston
> University. I you would like to comment on any of the above colleges
> for undergraduate voice, I would greatly appreciate it. I would also
> appreciate a ranking of undergraduate vocal programs, from a
> resourceor personal opinion. If any colleges should be considered
> that are not on my list, I would also appreciate those. Thank you so
> much for your time and hope to hear from all of you soon!
> Mark Van Arsdale

Mark,

Look for a good teacher that you click with, who believes in you and who
has an excellent track record getting students working. Also check out
private teachers in NYC with the above in mind. Indiana University has
several good teachers and this program is one of the most renowned in
the nation. Start looking in to publications like the Career Guide for
Singers and Management The Book, which will tell who who is working
where and then you can research from there. Start taking languages
now. You may email me individually if you like, as I have experience
with several universities and had a few teachers before I found one that
could help me learn to sing.

Gina

emusic.com