Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Mon Feb 19, 2001  4:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] diction: german ach sound

In a message dated 02/18/2001 11:53:40 PM Central Standard Time,
classicalsinger@e... writes:
classicalsinger@e... writes:

<< How much fleshy noise is made on the ACH and OCH sounds in German? Just
air or some back of the tongue vibration involved?

When I teach the back german "ch" sound (or the ach-laut, I believe it's
called), I describe it as being produced by the back of the tongue. The
ich-laut, on the other hand, is a more forward produced sound. For my
students, I describe it as the difference between a cat with a hairball and a
cat hissing (they don't forget that!).

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com