Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Sat Feb 17, 2001  8:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: Healthy belt: general ideas

In a message dated 02/16/2001 4:36:51 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bounousb@i... writes:
bounousb@i... writes:

<< ) If you can find a good teacher get one.
2) A good technical book is Jan Sullivan's "The Phenomena of the
Belt/Pop Voice" ISBN 0-913943-06-1
3) Belt is a soft yell. It has a very 'young' sound.
4) The higher you go, the softer (or "further away") and more intense
it becomes.
5) It uses a squared mouth. The higher you go the more the vowels are
modulated forward.
6) It uses very firm abdominal support.
7) It is ok for the larynx to become SLIGHTLY elevated. It should not
be shoved up.
8) It uses good soft palate lift but without the usual laryngeal lowering.
9) It is NOT nasal.

Barry,
These explanations of belt are just as nebulous as telling a student to
put it in the masque, feel like you are biting an apple when you sing etc.
..............#3,4,5,6,7,and 8, make me extremely leary, and go against any
healthy understanding of how the voice works at this time that I know of.
Referring #8, what is a "good soft palate lift" and how does one control
the laryngeal lowering that simultaneously occurs? More, what is squaring the
vowels?
Big red flags for me on this one. Clarification would be greatly
appreciated.
Mary Beth Felker

emusic.com