Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Fri Feb 16, 2001  11:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: Healthy belt: general ideas

Greypins@a... wrote:

> barry,
>
> i too, in the past year have expanded my vocalizing range to the F above
> tenor high C. using it, however, has not happened yet as it sounds kind of
> scary (as in robert plant scary). it's easy as hell and i find myself
> pushing the envelope as if it were some kind of guiness record attempt but, i
> have a hard time connecting it to singing.
>
> i am also interested in 'belting' but, i have found most references to
> it to be vague and contradicting. would you mind outlining some of the
> approaches you use in teaching belt?

1) If you can find a good teacher get one.
2) A good technical book is Jan Sullivan's "The Phenomena of the
Belt/Pop Voice" ISBN 0-913943-06-1
3) Belt is a soft yell. It has a very 'young' sound.
4) The higher you go, the softer (or "further away") and more intense
it becomes.
5) It uses a squared mouth. The higher you go the more the vowels are
modulated forward.
6) It uses very firm abdominal support.
7) It is ok for the larynx to become SLIGHTLY elevated. It should not
be shoved up.
8) It uses good soft palate lift but without the usual laryngeal lowering.
9) It is NOT nasal.

The hard part, indeed, for most people is the "connecting it to singing"
that you mention. If you have had other training, the exercises are
fine, but the minute you begin to sing a song you will tend to revert to
your strongest training. The worst thing you can to is to inadvertantly
combine classical loudness levels with belt laryngeal intensity. If you
do that you will feel vocal strain. Otherwise it should be easy as you
describe. When the breath is balanced the voice is healthy - the trick
is to find the right balance at high intensity levels. If it makes you
hoarse, froggy, or sore - STOP IT.
The sound should be young, brassy, fun, intense (but not loud - subtle
but important difference), flexible, responsive. It should not be
stiff, heavy, a bellow, a scream, or nasal.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A GOOD TEACHER.

Good luck!

--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9563 Re: Healthy belt: general ideas Greypins@a...   Sat  2/17/2001   5 KB
9567 Re: Healthy belt: general ideas- question for Bar taylor23f@h...   Sat  2/17/2001   3 KB
9570 Re: Healthy belt: general ideas Laura Sharp   Sat  2/17/2001   3 KB
9571 Re: Healthy belt: general ideas Domisosing@a...   Sat  2/17/2001   3 KB
9573 Re: Healthy belt: general ideas buzzcen@a...   Sun  2/18/2001   3 KB
9574 Re: Healthy belt: general ideas Greypins@a...   Sun  2/18/2001   2 KB
9575 Re: Healthy belt: general ideas buzzcen@a...   Sun  2/18/2001   2 KB
9628 Re: Healthy belt: general ideas Barry Bounous   Tue  2/20/2001   3 KB
9629 Re: Healthy belt: general ideas Barry Bounous   Tue  2/20/2001   2 KB

emusic.com