Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Feb 16, 2001  4:21 pm
Subject:  deal with the devil! was: Healthy belt

In a message dated 2/16/2001 10:23:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
buzzcen@a... writes:
buzzcen@a... writes:

<< You can document and explain any behavior, but that does not make it
healthy.
I could document Kerry Woods pre-surgery pitching motion where he can
across
his body to gain more speed on his pitches and explain it as his technique
yet we all know where it led him... brilliant short term success and then to
a surgeon. >>

randy,

this relates to my question about a student wanting to sing like celine
dion as opposed to barbra. it also relates to the opposing viewpoints of
alfredo kraus and jose carreras in the book 'divo'. kraus reducing the
number of roles he sang to only those that absolutely suited his voice while
carreras sang whatever he wanted, including roles way too strenuous for his
essentially soft timbre (and therefore, in my less than humble opinion,
ruining one of the most beautiful voices i ever heard. carreras in 'boheme'
at the age of 29...).

people who like healthy sounds are lucky. there are people who like
unhealthy sounds and would trade longevity for that brief glory. when faced
with someone who is in this situation who is asking "do you know how to help
me sing the way i dream of singing?", although there has so far been another
factor that prevented doing so, i am torn between giving that student what
they dream of and giving them the safe alternative.

most of the time, when i have been in that situation, it has been
nearly impossible for that person to do what they wanted and so, we would be
left with 'let's find out what you can do best with your voice and find music
to suit it' and that usually turns out well.

as much as i'd like to be their mephistofeles, i guess i usually end up
being 'just like their parents' after all.

mike

emusic.com