Vocalist.org archive

From:  sjdr9523@y...
sjdr9523@y...
Date:  Thu Feb 15, 2001  3:38 am
Subject:  humidifiers...

Allora,

Has anyone ever experienced increased DRYNESS in the vocal tract after using a
humidifer?

I was giving a recital in a drier climate than what I'm used to, so I brought
my personal steam inhaler with me. I used it for 10-15
minutes two or three times a day for a couple of days, including shortly before
the recital, and I actually felt much drier during the
performance than usual. I have only used the humidifier before when I've been
ill, and not during times when I've been singing. A
friend of mine always has a steam inhaler in his dressing room, and sniffs on
it between acts or sets. He swears by it. Any
thoughts?

Can too much direct application of moisture dry out the vocal folds, in the
same way too much water can dry out your skin or
mouth?

-John (perpetually dry after having an operation to remove some of his nasal
turbinates. Oy!!)

emusic.com