Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Thu Feb 15, 2001  4:38 pm
Subject:  repost of older message?? re: Healthy belt

Hi List,
I'm not sure if this came through the first time or not. Please forgive
me if I have already posted this.

> Subject: Re: [vocalist] SLS
> Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:45:23 +0000
> From: bounousb@i... (Barry Bounous)
> To: vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com
>
> buzzcen@a... wrote:
> COMMENT: A raised larynx puts the vocal folds into a valving position where
>
> > the extent of closure is more forceful than in other maneuver including
> > forceable closure. If that's not hyperfunction what is?
>
> That depends on how high you raise the larynx. Estill advocates a highly
raised
> larynx. Sullivan refers to it as slightly elevated. I would never advocate
the
> larynx in a locked up position - it floats even in belt.
>

> > COMMENT: If it is not raised chest then some form of vocal fold lengthening
> > is being used which would mean the CTs are involved. This is a mix at this
> > point, the degree of the mix is dependent on such factors of CT Vs TA
> > involvement and the degree of compression.
>
> Again, by what definition? CT involvment is the definition of mix? Vocal
fold
> lengthening is integral to all forms of singing including belt.
> Sundberg, Estill, and Schutte all define belt in terms of sub-glottal pressure
> and closed quotient of the vocal folds. The measurements of the closed phase
> differ depending on the subject being measured but was between 50 and 70%.
The
> [...]
signal of
> belt. When a mix begins to exhibit closed phases in this range, the sound
> becomes more like a belt. There may indeed be methods of approaching belt
which
> involve extreme pressures that result in unhealthy phonation but the same can
be
> said for the classical world. You are attempting to define anything
unhealthy as
> belt.
>

> > > I am very familiar with the lengthy lists of names generated and
> > > maintained by SLS instructors. They can legitimately claim many fine
> > > singers as having been exposed to SLS however, because of the extreme
> > > self-promotion of the system,
>
> > COMMENT: I'd be very careful about such comments. If this was as prevalent
> > as you insinuate, litigation would be occurring on a rather consistent
basis,
> > and it is not.
>
> I am telling you of my personal experience and that of many of my collegues.
> know Seth and I like him. I was deeply saddened at the passing of his sweet
> wife. I have no reason to doubt his integrity. However, it took me two phone
> calls to get my name removed from some literature. Another collegue had to
write
> a letter after phone calls failed to have effect. The lists of SLS name
singers
> are often simply copied and accredited to the system where the teacher himself
> may have little or no experience. This is very misleading to a prospective
> student.
>

> > COMMENT: This may be true in certain cases as it would be with many voice
> > > teachers regardless of what they teach. But those of us who take this
> > > seriously are up to date with the literature. Are you insinuating the SLS
> > > teachers on this list fall into the category of being ignorant of
> > > physiology and research.
>
> No, I do not know any of the SLS teachers on this list. I am stating that
most
> of the SLS teachers that I personally know and have heard teach in this area
are
> not only not current on literature and science, but they tend to be
suspicious
> of it. None that I know (in this area) are members of NATS. None of their
> students appear at local competitions. They tend to be charming and
personable
> and their fees tend to be double or triple the going rate. Their students
are
> usually very loyal to them. Often their students arriving at the university
are
> so close-minded to any other approaches or styles that they stagnate, don't
> progress, and end up in contentious relationships with the faculty. I
certainly
> hope that this does not represent SLS teachers as a whole, but it is an

Greypins@a...buzzcen@a...buzzcen@a...buzzcen@a...Greypins@a...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9506 Re: repost of older message?? re: Healthy belt Greypins@a...   Thu  2/15/2001   2 KB
9537 Re: repost of older message?? re: Healthy belt buzzcen@a...   Fri  2/16/2001   4 KB
9538 Re: repost of older message?? re: Healthy belt buzzcen@a...   Fri  2/16/2001   3 KB
9539 Re: repost of older message?? re: Healthy belt buzzcen@a...   Fri  2/16/2001   2 KB
9545 Re: repost of older message?? re: Healthy belt Barry Bounous   Fri  2/16/2001   2 KB
9547 Re: repost of older message?? re: Healthy belt Barry Bounous   Fri  2/16/2001   5 KB
9553 Re: repost of older message?? re: Healthy belt Greypins@a...   Fri  2/16/2001   3 KB

emusic.com