Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
"Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
Date:  Thu Feb 15, 2001  12:55 pm
Subject:  Re: Cadenzas and ritards

> What are your sources for the information you have provided? If
they
> are published, I would like to read them. Thank you.

There is an entire book entitled "Ornamentation in Mozart" by
Friedrich Neumann. Be aware, however, that Neumann is not without
controversy and many musicologists (including one of my performance
practice teachers at North Texas) cannot stand him!

BTW, he is opposed to inserting appoggiaturas in "closed numbers"
(arias, duets, etc.) although I seem to recall that he doesn't really
provide much explanation, he just doesn't like it!

-JS

emusic.com