Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Thu Feb 15, 2001  1:47 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Cadenzas and ritards

Hi all,

Further to my last post, just listen to Adelina Patti
singing Voi che sapete, with ormaments (not many but
enough) and she is the only singer who recorded to
have a direct link with Mozart (I believe) as she
worked with a musician who was directly linked to
Mozart.

Anyway, whether you like it or not (different argument
as I said before) I think if it's tasteful, it makes
for an intersting performance. Honestly, something
crass like Barbarina's aria from Figaro positively
cries out for it. I've heard/seen it done, and jolly
nice it was too.

Another tuppence ha'penny worth.

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars.

ps. I also remember that marvellous treatise put about
that all singers should use Mozart as text book
technique on how to sing. That is. If you can sing it
you can sing anything. I think it was Joan Sutherland
who said that was all very well but had only been put
about by singers who were only able to sing Mozart and
not alot else. . . Well, it made me larf!!