Vocalist.org archive

From:  Peter Louis van Dijk <plvdijk@i...>
Peter Louis van Dijk <plvdijk@i...>
Date:  Tue Feb 13, 2001  7:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Okay - pregnancy and the singing voice

> I highly recommend childbearing (to anyone so
> inclined) for vocal and life enhancement in general.

Just remember to support really well when the little sweethearts become
scream-attable. :-) The stress when young siblings are "bonding" (that's
what my two called it when I tried to tear them apart!) while you are
teaching or rehearsing in another corner of the house, can play havoc with
ye old cords.

One thing that did make me rather breathless was the arrival of Braxton
Hicks contractions during my second pregnancy.Everytime I made a sudden move
or went up steps, I would have this rock-hard football to contend with for
about 30 seconds.It made breathing in deeply just about impossible. I sang
Handel's Messiah at 7 months and the conductor kindly waited for a signal
from me before he started the orchestra on "I know that my Redeemer liveth"
which comes straight after intermission, and therefore after a long walk
onto the stage.I didn't dare sit down, just had to wait for the muscles to
relax again..But I must admit that I got really nice reviews for that one.

My abdominal muscles were seriously stretched out by number two. So much so
that I could not lift my legs while trying to do post-natal exercises. I
just lay there and nothing moved. I left it and just carried on with
mothering, singing, and teaching.A few weeks later I tried again, and lo and
behold, there was life. I am sure that the abs got their exercise while
singing, and that tightened everything up again.

As for baby falling asleep while one is practising, both boys fell asleep on
my lap when they were 1 yr old respectively while I was teaching "The
trumpet shall sound" and "The people that walked in darkness".Never thought
those loud bass arias could be regarded as soporific, but who was I to argue
with the critics!!

Don't be too scared about a C-section, think of the health of your baby as
well as your singing career. Normal deliveries also have their downside.eg
prolapses, which doctors seldom tell you about. My Gynea was quite
irritated, because everyone was wanting natural births and were then
surprised that they also brought unwanted side-effects.Every body reacts
differently, so just enjoy the wonder of it all and don't push yourself too
hard.

Regards

Susi

emusic.com