Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Tue Feb 13, 2001  6:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Cadenzas and ritards

> fermata, was that the
> convention in Mozart's time? if so, it seems to me
> perfectly logical to do it today.

Gina, have you heard Schwarzkopf's recording of the
version of "Voi che sapete" that they found dating
from Mozart's time? The soprano ornamented all over
the place... the melody line in the second half (where
"voi che sapete" is repeated) was very much changed.
Here's an article on it:
http://www.classicalsinger.com/newsletter/May-1998/cadenzas05-98.html

Oh, there I found my recording of it. I just posted
it to the "files" area on yahoogroups.com.

Also, I have gone to piano/vocal masterclasses where
they pianist has been ripped to shreds when slowing
down (imperceptably, to my ears) at the end of
"Gretchen." It seems that there is this cult out
there that says you NEVER slow down to end a Schubert
song, no matter what.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...

9431 Re: Cadenzas and ritards thomas mark montgomery   Tue  2/13/2001   2 KB
9432 Re: Cadenzas and ritards Isabelle Bracamonte   Tue  2/13/2001   2 KB

emusic.com