Vocalist.org archive

From:  Shannon <Cantante@x...>
Shannon <Cantante@x...>
Date:  Tue Feb 13, 2001  4:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] misspellings

I was gonna stay outta this...

Actually, I do fix the spelling of subject lines and even the text in
posts, unless there's some good reason to leave things the way they
were. Misspellings hurt my eyes. They leap off the page and smack me
in the face. It is unpleasant and distracting to read misspelled
material. It is my unique challenge to raise a severely dyslexic and
dysgraphic son. :)

Manners enter into it when refraining from saying anything about the
corrections that I make, not in the polite ignoring of the problem. If
someone had a piece of food hanging off of their clothing, wouldn't you
find a way of rectifying the situation without humiliating the person
involved?

Between knowing my son and other intelligent people who cannot spell, I
know that it's not a problem of intelligence. However, I cannot help
but feel that it is often a problem of carelessness. Spellcheckers
aren't perfect, but they do help, and they're cheap and ubiquitous.

People can decide and declare that it's my problem if I don't appreciate
the fullness of their wisdom because of misspellings. Perhaps so.
However, I am also aware that people won't avail themselves of the
chance to know the fullness of me in the flesh if I don't take a few
moments to brush my teeth and shower, and dress up in the appropriate
manner of the day. Appreciation of one's posts is similarly aided by at
least a basic attention to a verbal cleanup.

Shannon, risking being imperfect here :)

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, thomas mark montgomery wrote:

> > anywhere else in the message) why does nobody fix it?
>
> Perhaps their mothers taught them good manners? ;)
>
> Mark

Shannon Smith cantante@x...

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a
horrible warning.
--Catherine Aird

emusic.com