Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Tue Feb 13, 2001  3:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Gundula Janowitz masterclass (finally)

In a message dated 02/13/2001 2:55:09 AM Central Standard Time,
classicalsinger@e... writes:

<< Comment: I agree with no ornamentation in Mozart because he wrote it
perfectly, so why change genius? It drives me crazy to hear cadenzas
that Mozart didn't write on fermatas in his arias... aargh!!! >>

But isn't the fermata traditionally supposed to be an indication of
ornamentation to be determined by the singer? I disagree with you. I have a
really wild cadenza that was written for me at the fermata in "Smanie". I
resisted it at first (the director saw the whole aria as a mini-mad scene and
the cadenza is a rather tongue-in-cheek Lucia-like moment - yes, I know,
years too early, but so what?) but now that I've performed it, it doesn't
feel right just to sit on the fermata and start back up. Besides, I'm
remembered by companies who have hired me after hearing me do the aria -- a
friend of mine met someone at COT who said, "I heard a friend of yours - she
did the WILDEST cadenza in 'Smanie.'" It may work against me, but so far
it's worked for me. And it shows off the high C that I have!!

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

roses41usa@n...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9443 Ornamentation of Mozart Arias Lloyd W. Hanson   Tue  2/13/2001   5 KB
9456 Re: Ornamentation of Mozart Arias roses41usa@n...   Wed  2/14/2001   2 KB

emusic.com