Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Tue Feb 13, 2001  3:12 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] lehmann

wadijedo@a... wrote:

> Hi Vocalists,
> Does anyone know the relationship if any between Lillie and Lotte Lehmann? Or
> are they the same person.
> Thanks,
> Janis Saj

Lilli and Lotte are not the same person.

I conulted my Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians, and no relationship
is
mentioned. Lilli Lehmann was born in 1848 in Wurzburg, Germany, and died in
Berlin in
1929. She had a sister who was also a singer - Marie, and her mother, Marie
Loew was also
a soprano. Lotte Lehmann was born in 1888 in Perleberg and died in 1976 in
Santa Barbara,
California (she had become an American citizen). I remember reading in Marilyn
Horne's
memoirs that she studied or coached with Lotte Lehmann.

I have more info if you need it.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...