Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Feb 12, 2001  10:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Teen belter with scary symptoms

In a message dated 2/12/01 1:43:22 PM Central Standard Time,
bounousb@i... writes:

> Gee. I guess a doctorate in voice and 20 years teaching experience
> don't count for much anymore. I believe I teach a very sound vocal
> technique and my students sing in a healthy (non-hyperfunctional)
> manner. Perhaps this is an example of the arrogance and
> hyper-sensitivity so often displayed by SLS disciples.
>
> --
> Dr. Barry Bounous
> Brigham Young University
> School of Music
> bounousb@i...

Well,

I did not intend to question your credentials, but I do question the
pedagogy. Characters such as Estill and Lisa Popeil are cataloguing
behaviors that are hyperfunctional and using the word technique to describe
what is done. If belt means bringing up chest past the point it is healthy,
you are promoting pressed phonation which leads to abusive behaviors on a
laryngeal level.

It's nice to have a Ph.D., and years of experience, but since you brought
that all up I'd be interested in who you've produced with this technique.
Who would be the example we could listen to? SLS can point to many we can
all listen to, as could I from my own studio.

If this post seems confrontational, I apologize, but I find the things that
pass as belt technique to really be no more than explaining and codifying
some rather dangerous behaviors that untrained pop/Broadway singers use that
cannot get out of their chest voice without disconnecting.
Randy Buescher

emusic.com