Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Mon Feb 12, 2001  6:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Do men belt? (Was scary teen belting)

buzzcen@a... wrote:

> In a message dated 2/12/01 10:52:19 AM Central Standard Time,
> bounousb@i... writes:
>

> What do consider belt Barry? I've heard some disturbing reports from
> colleagues in your neck of the woods as to what is taught their as belt. Is
> speech level singing belt to your ears, and if not, how do account for its
> success in the worlds where belt is used?
>
> Randy Buescher

I understand the differences between mix (SLS) and belt. Seth has
lectured here and there are quite a few of his followers in this area.
In some extended listening sessions with a couple of them we came to the
conclusion that there are indeed some terminology overlaps: Light mix -
we have called pop/legit, medium mix - middle gospel, and heavy mix - is
belt. Not everyone will agree with this, but my experience is that I
can get a student to a 'belt' sound either from a mix approach or from a
belt approach - depends on which way the student seems more comfortable
with. Not all mix sounds are equal. If the song has a strong pop feel
(whether for the stage or not) I like working a mix approach. If the
song is a strong theatrical character piece like Adalide (Guys & Dolls)
or Martha (Secret Garden) or Ephonine (Les Mis) I find pure belt
technique works much better in maintaining a cohesive sound - without
slipping into a fuzzy looseness (or pop sound) which sometimes happens
in mix.

As to the disturbing reports from colleagues in my neck of the woods -
be more specific and I will be happy to respond.....

--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University

emusic.com