Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Mon Feb 12, 2001  6:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Belt Voice and "ring"/reply to Mike

Greypins@a... wrote:

observed was, each time Eder went into her belt voice and the larynx
> was going up higher and higher, she had to DO something. What she
> did was she tilted her head near her left shoulder. Not to mention
> the fact that she looked EXTREMELY tense while in her belt voice.

> give me a break! even the female opera singers look like they're
> having old fashioned prostate exams when they sing. dfd, teresa stratas,
> thomas allen, alfredo kraus, marylin horne and pre-wagner james morris are
> the only classical singers i have ever seen who didn't look as if they were
> having a painful attack of IBS while they were singing.

In spectral measurements I made for my dissertation I found that belters
typically had high energy in a somewhat lower bandwidth than that
associated with classical singing. That is what gives belt a
'brassiness' versus the classical 'sweetness' in high notes. (Like
trying to drive high notes through a mid-range speaker instead of a
dome-tweeter).

Facial contortions are a technical issue not a stylistic one. (Probably
undesirable in any style).
--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University