Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Brenda Christophersen & Stephen Lummus" <lumsen@1...>
"Brenda Christophersen & Stephen Lummus" <lumsen@1...>
Date:  Mon Feb 12, 2001  9:17 pm
Subject:  Re: Pregnancy and the Voice

Dear Fellow Listers:
OK....I have been lurking...Isabelle has brought me out of the 'closet' to
discuss the issue of pregnancy and the voice and the effects on Baby as
well. First, let me tell you I am a soprano, trained in Classical/Operatic
style. Second, I will tell you that I have been active on stage. Thirdly,
and most pertinent to this post...I am a mother of three. I had three
terrific pregnancies and I sung through ALL three. I performed Baby Doe when
pregnant with my second child. I performed Belinda from "Dido and Aeneas"
with my first. I was in school during that first pregnancy, singing
constantly in Opera Workshop, Chorale, as a church solist and even sung
Mozart's "Der Holle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen" to an audience of music
school recruits! I EVEN SUNG THOUGH LABOR!

My point is this: my children suffered NADA in- utero. To suggest such a
thing, as mentioned in a previous post, seems proposterous. My mother sung
throughout her pergnancies as well and she had 7 perfectly normal and
healthy MUSICAL children. Now, I have a very open mind, so I am willing to
study this research and listen to all sides. However, I experienced
absolutely no difficulties singing during any part of my pregnancies. I even
recorded a CD 1 1/2 week following the birth of my third child. And let me
also share that age has not been a factor, either! I had my first child at
29 yrs.

My children are very healthy and quite intelligent, if I do say so myself
;-) I do believe Richard Miller is OFF HIS ROCKER! I do believe that you
must experience this for yourself. The only challange I had during pregancy
was very late in the third trimester: I had to shift my support system down
a bit lower and into my KNEES (tee hee).

Anyway, I appreciate ya'll allowing me the opportunity to share my
experiences with you. There have been many, many OPERAMOMS who sing
throughout pregnancy..and OF COURSE they are concerned with the health of
their baby. I really would like to see what proof there is that the fetus
could be negitively affected by a soprano! PUHLEASE!

Thank you and God Bless,
Brenda

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9360 Re: Pregnancy and the Voice Laura Sharp   Mon  2/12/2001   3 KB

emusic.com