Vocalist.org archive

From:  sjdr9523@y...
sjdr9523@y...
Date:  Mon Feb 12, 2001  6:52 pm
Subject:  Re: vowel quandry

-Maybe something in the neighborhood of an [U] vowel, as in "book" or "look" ?

-If you round your lips more, that might give them more of what they're looking
for,
but it will cut off some of your singer's formant.

-Sing with the jaw a bit more closed on that note.

Just some thoughts...

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., John Alexander Blyth <vocalist-temporary@y..., John Alexander Blyth < > Here's my dilemma: In our Opera Excerpts programme we're going to do
> (inter alia) the last scene of Rigoletto, and at the words "Fu vision!" I'm
> told that I'm singing "Fo vision!" . Immediately you may respond - well
> then sing it right!. My problem is that if I sing the sound asked for, my
> singer's formant disappears, only to reappear with a vengeance on the
> vowels following. I personally feel that my 'u' isn't quite an 'o' though
> it is probably more 'o' than my auditors are used to, and is something that
> I developed for a more consistent sound in German repertoire (I'm largely
> self-taught, and my method has been perhaps a little teutonic - but now I'm
> being asked to do an awful lot of Italian from a strongly Italian-oriented
> director - a good thing, many may say, except it requires a lot of
> adjustment on my part).
> Is there a more acceptable modification of an 'u' vowel that will still
> project and not make the following 'i' and 'o' seem like bullies? Or what?
> Solutions anybody? john
> John Blyth
> Baritono robusto e lirico
> Brandon, Manitoba, Canada