Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Feb 12, 2001  5:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Do men belt? (Was scary teen belting)

In a message dated 2/12/01 10:52:19 AM Central Standard Time,
bounousb@i... writes:
bounousb@i... writes:

> Men do indeed belt. There is a difference between the lower male voice
> (which I call quasi-belt) and the upper male voice. I have had male
> students who could take a belt sound to the F above the tenor high C.
> It is an awesome sound. It is not falsetto - The closest I can describe
> it might be the male head voice at a much higher level of compression
> but at lower amplitudes to maintain safety. It is a very intense sound,
> but when done correctly is no more fatiguing to my students than is
> classical singing.
> --
> Dr. Barry Bounous
> Brigham Young University
> School of Music
> bounousb@i...

What do consider belt Barry? I've heard some disturbing reports from
colleagues in your neck of the woods as to what is taught their as belt. Is
speech level singing belt to your ears, and if not, how do account for its
success in the worlds where belt is used?

Randy Buescher

emusic.com