Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Mon Feb 12, 2001  3:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Do men belt? (Was scary teen belting)

Mezzoid@a... wrote:

> In a message dated 02/09/2001 9:31:55 PM Central Standard Time,
> Greypins@a... writes:
>
> << no one, of those who consider belting to be the embodiment of evil, has
> ever complained about male belting. there have been complaints about male
> screaming, but not belting. >>
>
> Neil Semer said at last year's NATS musical theater workshop that men do not
> belt. Anyone go to this year's workshop? Anyone want to share anything?

Men do indeed belt. There is a difference between the lower male voice
(which I call quasi-belt) and the upper male voice. I have had male
students who could take a belt sound to the F above the tenor high C.
It is an awesome sound. It is not falsetto - The closest I can describe
it might be the male head voice at a much higher level of compression
but at lower amplitudes to maintain safety. It is a very intense sound,
but when done correctly is no more fatiguing to my students than is
classical singing.
--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University