Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Sun Feb 11, 2001  8:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Okay - pregnancy and the singing voice

>But I'm thinking about it. Who knows anything about
>what pregnancy does to the female voice? I have heard
>that it can darken the voice (a good thing), might
>drop the pitch permanantly (not such a good thing),
>that you can sing up until delivery, that you have to
>stop singing immediately after conception, that the
>recovery period is a breeze, that the recovery period
>can take up to a year... Any experiences, opinions,
>observations?

Not being female, I can't give you first hand experience, however, there
are many things that are commonly observed. For one thing, the breath
support will seem really powerful as the baby grows. You will have this
huge abdominal spacer causing taughtness of abdominal musculature. You
will probably like the sensation of singing with this. After you deliver,
you will have a void in your abdomen secondary to stretched musculature and
the absence of the baby that will likely cause a wobble in your voice. Do
what exercises you like to re-tighten those abs. They you will loose the
wobble. If you expect it, you won't be disturbed when it happens.

Good luck with the whole process.
Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2122

emusic.com