Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Sun Feb 11, 2001  8:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Okay - pregnancy and the singing voice

In a message dated 2/11/01 1:45:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ibracamonte@y... writes:
ibracamonte@y... writes:

<< I have heard
that it can darken the voice (a good thing), might
drop the pitch permanantly (not such a good thing),
that you can sing up until delivery, that you have to
stop singing immediately after conception, that the
recovery period is a breeze, that the recovery period
can take up to a year... Any experiences, opinions,
observations? >>

With the exception of getting short-winded when I
arrived in Aspen, (and that could have happened
anyway, as I live near sea level in New Jersey) I
felt nothing but positive effects from my pregnancy
and delivery on my singing. The other side of the wind
coin: I sang the solo in the Brahms Requiem shortly
after he dropped, (back in New York -- NOT the Rockies)
and my breath line had gotten longer than pre pregnancy!
If my range changed beyond what it would have ordinarily
in childless maturing, I gained solid notes at both extremes.

I had an audition a few weeks post partum, and it was only
just ok, but I successfully sang in a concert three months post
partum. I could not tell that pregnancy and delivery darkened
my voice. I highly recommend childbearing (to anyone so
inclined) for vocal and life enhancement in general.

emusic.com