Vocalist.org archive

From:  Peter Louis van Dijk <plvdijk@i...>
Peter Louis van Dijk <plvdijk@i...>
Date:  Sun Feb 11, 2001  4:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Darkening Vowels

Christine wrote:

> As Thomas Hampson said about that technique in a recent master class:
>
> "And about the technique of pulling your lip over your teeth, this
> [demonstrating and continuing to speak], is CRAP!"
>
> When I pull my upper lip over my teeth, my lower lip responds with tension
> and it feels like my palate pulls down. Why would ANYONE recommend this
> technique? It makes no sense to me. If someone can tell me the technical
> advantage to this practice, I'm all ears. Skeptical ears, but all ears.

When I was at College (a long time ago) we had one teacher who taught this
technique. Especially the vowels Ah and EE were affected.At the same time
the student needed to "smile", lifting the cheek muscles. The student also
would bring the head down sideways towards the shoulder, lifting the
shoulder at the same time. The opening line of "Vado, ma dove" became a
commedy act for the audience!

I think the idea behind all of this is to keep the sound forward behind the
teeth!?The shoulder bit I think, was to give added support to the larynx
when singing high notes. The teacher seemed to need this, and taught her
pupils to do the same.I got into trouble by pointing out that the students
didn't have the same build or problems of their teacher, so why were they
doing it.

The other teacher at the college taught a very exaggerated lip-projection
technique, so we all looked like fish out of water.

I am glad to say that we don't have these two extremes being taught there
anymore. Instead we have............No, I won't go there!!:-o

Regards

Susi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9296 Re: Darkening Vowels Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  2/11/2001   2 KB

emusic.com