Vocalist.org archive

From:  taylor23f@h...
taylor23f@h...
Date:  Sat Feb 10, 2001  6:57 pm
Subject:  Re: Contorting the face and prostate exam!

Mike wrote:

> taylor,
> give me a break! even the female opera singers look like
>they're having old fashioned prostate exams when they sing. dfd,
>teresa stratas, thomas allen, alfredo kraus, marylin horne and pre-
>wagner james morris are the only classical singers i have ever seen
>who didn't look as if they were having a painful attack of IBS
>while they were singing.

Dear Mike and list,

The fact that the above singers are the "ONLY" ones you say
look and sound comfortable leads me to believe you have never seen
any videos of the really GREAT singers in action. What about
Bjoerling for example- on video his high C has not ONE wrinkle on his
brow! And what about Sutherland, Melchoir, Fladstad, Gigli,
Tagliavini, Simionato, Ponselle, Warren- they look like they're
TALKING not singing. There faces are completely calm! All of the
singers you named are indeed fine singers-- but with all due respect
Mike, they are NOT the ONLY singers who don't look like they're
having a prostate exam. Sure singers make faces and contort things--
but the really great singers NEVER did.

Take Care All,

Taylor L. Ferranti
Doctoral Candidate in Vocal Pedagogy