Vocalist.org archive

From:  taylor23f@h...
taylor23f@h...
Date:  Sat Feb 10, 2001  4:42 pm
Subject:  Re: Belt Voice and "ring"/reply to Mike

Mike wrote:

> as a teacher of non classical singers, i have worked with a
>number of students whose larynges raise as they increase pitch, some
>spread their vowels some have an instinct for modulating them. i
>have recently learned to use gram50 for spectral analysis. in the
>students i have tested who exhibit a high larynx, nearly all of them
>have produced a large amount of activity in the range of 2500-
>3500hz. additionally, a number of them produce activity higher.
>the activity in this range becomes more variable as they sing
>passages that are quiet and in the range of speech (and it does seem
>to be consistant with their speech).

Mike,

You bring up an interesting point regarding belting and spec
analysis. As I have been using the "Dr. Speech" real ananysis
recently, I have a few thoughts. It is quite possible to produce a
tone which registers in the area of 2800-3500Hz without a low-larynx,
proper vowel, and a dropped jaw which we associate a classical
singer.
So yes, I believe that a music theater singer CAN indeed
produce "ring"- but at what price? The illustrate this point further
a quick story: I saw Linda Eder(probably the most masterful music
thearter singer around) on the Rosie show a few weeks ago. What I
observed was, each time Eder went into her belt voice and the larynx
was going up higher and higher, she had to DO something. What she
did was she tilted her head near her left shoulder. Not to mention
the fact that she looked EXTREMELY tense while in her belt voice.
Now, I would bet that she did have some true "ring" in her voice that
day- but at what cost? Eder has an amazing instrument, but I prefer
listening on CD to waching her contortionist act live!

Take Care All,

Taylor L. Ferranti
Doctoral Candidate in Vocal Pedagogy
Louisiana State University