Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Sat Feb 10, 2001  4:03 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Belt Voice and voice pedagogy

In a message dated 02/10/2001 5:53:02 AM Central Standard Time,
thomas8@t... writes:
thomas8@t... writes:

<< The vocal belting style used by Mary Martin, Doris Day, Ethel Merman et al
had much more of a classical approach (more head tone in chest, larynx not as
high as following belters, more spread vowels) than that of say, Bernadette
Peters, Patti
Lupone et al. >>

And that's the sound I like and that I THINK I can reproduce reasonably well
- although when I tried at last year's NATS workshop, I got thru 6 measures
before the clinician stopped me and said, "You're not belting!" Well, that's
kind of what I was there to learn - it was exactly the way you describe above
but I wasn't sure if that was what belt was - he said it wasn't. He then
told me I should have picked a lower song like "The Rose" (I was doing "All
that jazz") and had the pianist transpose my piece down a 3rd. Then I said
the phrase "Come on babe" 4 or 5 times, each time getting a response of "No!
That's too presentational." Finally he told me to sit down. :(

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9289 Re: Belt Voice and voice pedagogy Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  2/11/2001   2 KB

emusic.com