Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Sat Feb 10, 2001  12:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Belt Voice and voice pedagogy

I know what you mean, Chris and I agree. The vocal belting style used by
Mary Martin, Doris Day, Ethel Merman et al had much more of a classical
approach (more head tone in chest, larynx not as high as following
belters, more spread vowels) than that of say, Bernadette Peters, Patti
Lupone et al. One thing I discovered that surprised me several years ago:
Ethel Merman's vocal quality is often recalled in the form presented by
the people that imitate her in parody than by Miss Merman herself. I was
pleasantly surprised upon seeing her in a Lucy rerun several years ago how
soprano-like her quality came across and how less belted her vocal
approach was than I seemed to remember.

Mark

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001 Mezzoid@a... wrote:

> BUT
> Mary Martin was a belter
> Ethel Merman was a belter
>
> These women did NOT use mikes in their performances. The use of mikes on
> Bway came much much later. So what is the difference between the belters of
> yesterday, who could sing w/o amplification and be heard in the back row, and
> the belters of today, who can't be heard in the third row w/o mikes?????
> There seems to be a radical difference in overtones, IMHO!!

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9265 Re: Belt Voice and voice pedagogy thomas mark montgomery   Sat  2/10/2001   2 KB

emusic.com