Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Sat Feb 10, 2001  12:01 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Teen belter with scary symptoms

Laura Sharp wrote:

> First of all, how nice to see a post from Barry. I don't think I've seen
> your name since I came back to Vocalist.
>
> Barry wrote: "I would not be so quick to blame the theater group. If your

snip

> Thank you for taking me to task over placing blame. I'm a bit upset since I
> know this group well and Chelsea's won't be the first or last voice trashed
> in that program.

Point taken. Individual reposibility cannot always be expected
(especially in children) to overcome incompentence or
malpractice. You might make inquiries as to their expectations in this
area and suggest that they aquire an on-staff vocal coach who
understands the style when they are doing contemporary shows. In my
experience children won't sing for long in a way that hurts unless they
are being encouraged to make a particular kind of sound. If they are
being encouraged that way, then they should be taught how to do it.
Children who belt should ALWAYS be on a microphone.

What would it hurt to stop every
> once in a while and ask, "Is anyone in pain? Is anyone sore when we're done
> singing?" They take the time to teach them how to dance in different styles,
> how to "act", but when it comes to the music, all they teach are the notes.
>
> OK, I'm done ranting for the moment. :=)

Rant justified.

--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University